Several classrooms across campus are exploring the using of student-centered, interactive, integrated, flexible, active learning spaces.
Join us as we welcome Dr. Robert Beichner to the San Marcos campus.
noon – 1 p.m. Dr. Beichner Presentation
1:15-2:15 p.m. Hands on Workshop
2:30 – 3 p.m. Meet and Greet
Dr. Beichner is an award winning educator and leader in researching and developing active learning spaces. His SCALE-UP project promotes active learning in spaces which are carefully designed to facilitate interactions between teams of students who work on short, interesting tasks.
His findings show:
• students' ability to solve problems is improved
• their conceptual understanding is increased
• their attitudes are better
• failure rates (especially for women and minorities) are drastically reduced
• "at risk" students do better in later courses.